Your back pain is getting worse? Here are nine tips to help you feel better:
1. Hold in your stomach muscles (that’s the best and easiest way to strengthen them.) Just suck them back to your spine.
2. Lift your chest (this strengthens your back.)
3. Create a small hollow behind your waist if you don’t have one (you should have one.)
4. Try to use ALL of your muscles around your whole body–front, back and sides. Most of us use only a portion of our muscles each day–like 70 out of 300. Not so good–it causes back pain when muscles are not balanced.
5. Practice flexing your spine forward and backward, forward and backward. This improves the circulation around your spine and strengthens your torso.
6. Roll your shoulders up and back (this strengthens your back muscles.)
7. Use a lumbar cushion behind your waist when you are seated. (You can fold a hand towel to the right size for you.)
8. Stick your tailbone ALL the way back into your seat. Or if the length of the seat is longer than your thighs, place a large pillow behind your back.
9. No slouching allowed! If you catch yourself slouching, just straighten up again. And again. And again.
Whew! That a LOT of stuff to remember.
Yes, it is a lot but the more little changes you make the easier it will be to keep back pain from getting worse. In fact, you may even notice that your back feels better and that you feel better all over!
That’s what better posture can do for you!
Oh, and maybe a good, sturdy pair of arch supports for your shoes, too. If you have flat feet without natural arches, that can cause back pain. Arch supports can help you get rid of your back pain naturally.