Does massage get rid of back pain? A study in the Annals of Internal Medicine said it can. (And that is no surprise to me!)
The study compared patients in three groups:
1. Conventional medical treatment of medicine and exercises
2. Structural massage (deeper pressure)
3. Swedish massage (more gentle form of massage)
Guess who won? 🙂
1. 4% improvement in back pain for medicine and exercises
2. 37% improvement in back pain for structural massage
3. And a 37% improvement for Swedish massage recipients
And the folks who had the conventional medical treatment spent more time in bed and were less active. Now, only 4% seems quite low to me for that treatment but, actually, 37% improvement for massage also seems low to me.
One hour of professional massage a week was enough to deliver results and either type of massage helped.
Here’s an article to help you find a massage therapist who can help you: (click this link–>) http://simplepainrelief.com/2009/11/22/how-to-find-a-massage-therapist-who-can-relieve-your-pain/